07 May, 2006

increasing support for other singapore parties

_ By my standard, this is a long post.

_ Although there is no shift in the Singapore government, the general support for Workers' Party and other parties seemed to be increasing by a significant margin. That is, of course, despite my hidden effort/agenda to entice people to get Glenda Han into parliament.

_ First of all, I am not revealing who I voted for. What I will say is that the major factor that will influenced me during the voting is individual rights and liberty. That may sound selfish but to me it is very important. I am the people of Singapore or am I not?

_ I am an atheist, I believe very much in freewill and I believe in respecting every other individual and their will to live as how they want it to. That is to say I feel everyone should be free to do or say anything they wish just as long they don't commit murder, rape, male rape, torture, cheat, make fun of people until they develop a complex and do stuff that are generally considered irresponsible.

_ I also believe in the rights to demand the best from the government and reserving the rights to question them because it is the will of the people that is why they are in office. Therefore, it is their sole job to provide the means and ideas relating to security - be it social or economic -, condition of living, welfare for the elderly and not making any enemies on a global level.

_ For example, even though I moved out from a HDB flat for about two years already, it is my personal opinion that upgrading of flats should not be the concern of ANY election because that should be the concern of the Government in the first place without needing it to be promised. It is not a big idea and shouldn't it be an inititive set out long long ago despite who is the incumbent of the ward? Hello, HDB? Whose money is being used for the upgrade anyway?

_ Although the OB markers are widening at an accelerated pace these days, it is wise I say no more. One of the reasons is that I don't participate in civic matters, such as this, as much as I wanted to and, therefore, do not have best picture of local politics.

_ Let's, for now, toast to another five years of joy, peace and prosperity in my beloved Singapore.

Some related links:
[AP via Forbes]
[AP direct]
[Bloomberg]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home