21 September, 2006

Singapore Got Culture One, Okay?

_ We, Singaporeans, are very strange.

_ We'll never know where to stand on the escalator even though we've been informed. The authorities must have relented since I don't see the stickers, which gave clear instructions to stand on the left, anymore.

_ For me, I tend to follow the person infront of me. This is to allow the person standing behind me to go ahead.

_ Unless he/she is an asshole who loves to stand in the middle and don't you just want to mentally eviscerate them and those couples who block everyone behind them by putting on their cute show of sweet lovin'.

_ But, I digress.

_ Now, normally, the person standing infront will stay still however there are people who will, seemingly considerate, sense me at the back, side step and allow me to pass.

_ The thing is I am not the one who is in a hurry to up/down the escalator, it is those at the back. Hence, we will begin a dance of awkwardness, not very dissimilar to Cha Cha, stepping from one side to another and back.

_ Another funny behaviour of Singaporeans is that we never know how to position ourselves in the train. It is not just about people not moving into the centre of the cabin. By not being told, we are confused on which direction to face.
Camera shy Singaporeans nowhere to be found.

_ The handles and poles clearly are positioned in the centre, between the seats. So, obviously, we have to face the handles so as to hold on to it. But, people, strangely tries to defy logic and safety, prefers to face away from them and stand anchored to nothing.

_ Maybe, by not directing our gluteus maximus at the seated passengers, it is another strange way of being considerate. Of course, the seated ones have to contend with starring straight at your private part - or private parts, who knows these days.

So there, Singaporeans are strange. By strange I mean that's our unique culture. Uniquely Singapore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home